Anstruther Railway Station
Here at in the Burgh Collection we have many photographs detailing the history of the train station at Anstruther.
The rail tracks had reached Anstruther in 1863, and there was a new station in 1883 renamed as Anstruther for Cellardyke. The railway journey to Anstruther proved very popular for many years.
However the competition against the buses for passengers, and the lorries and delivery vans for freight proved too much and the line was eventually closed in 1965.
On this occasion we are looking at an advert from the 1957 Anster Fair and Sports Day programme. The Fair was held on Saturday 20th July 1957 and had a variety of events such as a Fancy Dress Procession, sale of work stalls, adult and children’s races and an address by Provost Mitchell.
The athletic events were extensive with over 30 separate competitions and displays including inter- primary school races and gymnastics from H.M.S. Caledonia , Rosyth.
However today we are looking at an advert placed by G. Brattesani and Sons. Many will remember this well-known shop, the name still in use within the Anstruther Fish Bar, Shore St Anstruther.
So, can you decipher the message? Many of us here at the Burgh Collection have tried but not succeeded.
We don’t know if someone managed to solved it in 1957 and claim their box of chocolates.